| Sicilian Donkey Cart |
travel
memoir
by
Greg Larson
“What is this?” I asked as we strolled through
the hotel grounds near Mt. Etna in Sicily. A large wooden cart with detailed
carvings lay under a shade tree along the path.
“It looks like some type of donkey
cart,” said Gretta, my wife.
I gasped at the carved detail, the
painted panels, and the deteriorating condition of the weathered cart.
“Whatever it is, I can’t believe it’s exposed to the weather. This should be in a museum. It’s so old, and the detail is unbelievable!”
I exclaimed.
“Look at the carvings and hand-painted
pictures,” said Gretta.
| Intricate carvings and paintings |
“Was this built for kings and queens?” I
asked. “This looks like something you would see on Antiques Roadshow. I can’t imagine what it is worth. I pointed to
the painted panels, “Look at the medieval battle scenes.”
| The cart's resting place |
Questions swelled inside of me. What
was the significance of the carved symbols and painted scenes? How many times
had these wheels turned their circumference, making revolutions on the dusty Sicilian
hillsides? Why was the antique exposed
to the harsh Sicilian climate? I touched the sun-bleached wooden frame
which seemed like the relic bones of someone’s livelihood, and stared at the
patina of the fading paint.
Gretta and I discovered the donkey cart
while strolling along the paths through the green shady grounds of Villa
Paradiso dell’Etna which is located at the base of Mt. Etna in northeast
Sicily. A paradise it was to us, after spending several days in June of 2012 on
a bike tour, experiencing the hot sun and the twisting, turning roads that rose
and fell over the hills of eastern Sicily.
The three-acre walled estate was built as a resort in the late 1920s as
a spot for tourists and artists to view Etna and experience the cool breezes at
the base of the volcano.
| Entry to Villa Paradiso dell'Etna |
| Front steps |
The cart continued to reveal intricate
details of carved spokes on the wheels, and multiple painted panels and
carvings on the box and side panels.
Some strange metal ornamentation had been welded to the axle frame. Although mostly hidden from view, the metal
trinkets on curved tracery gave an artistic flourish to the undercarriage.
| Metal trinkets near the axle |
We asked our tour guide about the cart,
and he explained they were used by everyday merchants for transporting goods
throughout Sicily. They have become an
enduring symbol of the region, a slice of history about the hard-scrabble lives
of the Sicilians. The decaying cart is
akin to the rusted model-T pick-up trucks which rest beneath elm trees in rural
America. Some of the carts have been saved
in museums or used only in pageants or parades, but thousands have been left as
outdoor relics to remind the Sicilians of their pride of ownership and their
ability to overcome daily hardships.
| Antique details exposed to the weather |
Cart-making and painting has quickly
become a lost art, but when carts were the mode of transportation, the cart-makers
flourished. Carts of varying quality
were available for centuries to carry the goods of Sicilian society, such as
grain, wine, lumber, and fish. A cart
owner’s social status was quickly determined by a glance at the detail on their
cart, just as we look at the differences in American cars today. Cadillac or Chevy? Ford or Chrysler?
Today, only a handful of people continue
the trade of cart making and cart painting.
In the book, Seeking Sicily, one
of the last cart painters, Franco Bertolino, bemoans the fact that when he
quits painting as his grandfather taught him, the art will be lost. He said that some fine-art graduates have
begun to do some cart painting, but the style and colors are not the same as
those created by the old tradesmen.
| Details of a lost art |
I'm back at home, sipping American coffee and reviewing the photographs
of the cart. I see a poignant symbol on
the grounds of Villa Paradiso, where countless Sicilian wedding receptions have
taken place. It is a reminder of the
island’s history to the new couples, a symbol which shows the strength and
pride of the Sicilians as they went about their daily lives.
A man, a donkey, and a cart . . . all
that was needed to conduct business on the Mediterranean Isle.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Greg,
ReplyDeleteThis was a wonderful blog. My grandfather, Francesco Arezzi was one of the artisans that painted the scenes on the carrettos in Sicily. He was a master craftsman. I have a metal sculpture that was a part of the mechanics and was meticulously sculpted, in my possession, fortunately it made its way to America.
Unfortunately, the carts were not well preserved and the artists, like my grandfather were not given the recognition they deserved. In Fascist Italy, it was just another job.
I have written a novel about that era inspired by true events. You may view a trailer of the book at http://youtu.be/zF7k9rszcRA.
Thank you for sharing this story with us.
Marianna Randazzo
Author of Given Away, a Sicilian Upbringing
Marianna,
ReplyDeleteI had chills watching the trailer on your novel. The chimes speak volumes. I intend to read your book. My wife and I have traveled throughout Italy, including a bike tour across Italy. We fell in love with Sicily. The people have a spirit that keeps them going through a lot of tough times.
Thank you Greg, I believe it was that spirit that made my family succeed in America.
ReplyDeletePlease let me know aht you think of the book.
It is available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Given-Away-A-Sicilian-Upbringing/dp/0989481921/ref=tmm_pap_title_0
Warm Regards,
Marianna
In the late 1960's I spotted the axel of a Sicilian cart in an antique store in Scottsdale.
ReplyDeleteI "carted it home " (excuse the pun) and had the four corners electrified and it hung in
my wonderful territorial style home in Tucson, AZ until I moved out in 2003. I had to
downsize. The new owner didn't want it....which in my mind told me they didn't deserve it!
It is very beautiful, NOT weathered, as your photos show...some of the faces were re-dated
after 1945 but the axel is definitely from...early 1900's? I have a couple of photos and am
about to sell it....will e-mail jpgs if someone is interested...it hung from 4 chain from ceiling.
I think the chain is still attached...I came on line out of curiosity and look what I found!
If interested, even if it's just for the jpgs...let me know studiocld@cox.net susan