| Baseball fans stream into Kauffman Stadum for World Series Game #2 |
memoir
by Greg Larson
For years,
if anyone ventured out to a Royals game it was usually to go on a family outing
or field trip with the office gang, just to be sociable. Kauffman Stadium, the
“K,” was upgraded in 2009 to lure more people into the park. Yes, the restrooms
and shops are bigger, the food venues serve gourmet items along with wine, beer
and cocktails, and the park has more flash and dazzle with multiple electronic
screens and billboards (they even have mini-golf, a carousel and a ball diamond
in a children’s park beyond the outfield). But until recently, the improvements
to the park didn’t include the quality of Royal’s baseball. “There’s a ballgame
on the field!” someone would say. Imagine that! What a novel idea. “Ah, let’s
go hang out on the concourse and eat some chili-cheese nachos with jalapenos.”
Sporadically,
the team improved, especially in the last year. They began to play something
that resembled baseball – and they started winning.
This last
August I bought some tickets on Royals.com, and my brother, Dan, and I ventured
out to the “K.” It was like the old days at the ballpark, watching players who
were good at their sport, and full of energy. The experience stirred memories
and emotions I’d had from the ’70s and ’80s. Although the Royals lost to the
Twins in ten innings on that night in August, it was good to see real baseball,
complete with offense and defense.
Fast forward
to the wildcard game with Oakland – the game with multiple personalities, both
literally and figuratively. The Royals came back from a 7-3 deficit in the
eighth inning to win in the twelfth inning with a score of 8-9. The Royal’s
players showed spunk and moxie. My fan juices began to flow again. I had worn
my old 1985 World Series t-shirt to watch the game on TV. That was the good
luck charm.
After that
game, I received an email from Royals.com to sign up for a lottery that would
give a selected few the chance to buy two tickets to a World Series game at the
“K,” if the Royals made it that far in the post-season. I’m not one to gamble
or buy lottery tickets, but I signed up online for a chance to go to the World
Series, and then I forgot about it.
On October
13th, I received an email titled WORLD SERIES TICKET OPPORTUNITY.
Sounded like a scam to me, but then I realized it was sent by Royals.com. “Congratulations! You have been selected for
the opportunity to purchase two tickets . . .” Holy Moly! This was the real
deal. On October 14th, I was sent a password and a link to a website
that put me in a virtual waiting room with all the other lottery winners
attempting to purchase tickets. After twenty-five minutes of waiting, I was
linked to the ticket-purchase website. Instructions said the tickets had to be
purchased in five minutes or I would lose the opportunity.
The ticket
prices were sanctioned by Major League Baseball. I remember the prices varying
from approximately $100 for standing-room-only to over $800 for the best seats
possible. Then a rash of horror struck me. The ticket selection was
color-coded, and I’m color-blind! The clock was ticking. I tried to stay calm.
One category was listed as “Hy-Vee box seats,” for $245.00 per ticket. I knew
the Hy-Vee grocery stores sponsored the upper-deck, and from past experience, I
knew the upper-deck box seats were close to the railing above the infield and along
the first and third base lines. Bingo . . . I clicked for the purchase of two
tickets to Game #2 and a parking pass. I received a confirmation number for
seats in the upper-deck section 413, near home plate. WOO-HOO! (After I bought
the tickets to Game #2, I noticed on the internet that tickets in section 413
were selling for $1000 to $1200 apiece).
It seemed
bizarre. I printed the tickets in the privacy of my own home, and kept rubbing
my fingers over them. Every so often I would pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t
dreaming. I offered the second ticket to my brother, Dan, who is much more
knowledgeable about baseball than me.
The thought
of going to the game with Dan brought back memories of my dad taking the two of
us to Lawrence Stadium in Wichita, Kansas, in the 1950s to watch the Wichita
Braves, Milwaukee’s farm team. I remember smelling the cigar smoke from the
crowds, and looking at the stadium lights shining on big players who ran the
chalk lines or chased the ball on the neatly trimmed grass. For me, it was the big leagues.
Another
early childhood memory was our tabletop baseball game, a pinball machine. We’d
pull back the plunger and watch the ball arch and drop to the pockets for base
hits, home runs, or strikeouts. Our teams were selected from Dan’s baseball
cards, and we moved the players around the glass top as we scored or made hits.
That was the beginning of our interest in baseball, and now we were going to
witness, in person, a live World Series game.
| Dan and Greg at Game #2 at the "K" |
The baseball
gods delivered perfect weather, with a cool breeze and warm sunshine washing
over us in the parking lot. We sipped our beers and kept saying, “It doesn’t
get any better than this!”
| Pre-game view from our World Series seats |
| Royals fans scream for a San Francisco Giant to strike out |
| The Royals team celebrates their win in Game #2 |
Baseball has always been one of the sports most dedicated to tradition and resistant to change.
ReplyDeleteRoyals Tickets