Monday, February 21, 2022

From Another Time

 

Fox Creek School
(located on K-177 at Tallgrass Prairie Preserve)
2022 watercolor by Gregory E. Larson


From Another Time 

memoir

by Gregory E. Larson                                                                                                 

          The car rides from Wichita to Emporia in the 1950s were long and arduous — that is, before the Kansas Turnpike was built. Our family made that trip at least once a month when I was a little kid. There were times on U.S. Highway 50 when I felt trapped in the back seat, especially when Dad was following a slow farm truck or a big semi, and the smell of diesel made me feel sick to my stomach. One of the few things I enjoyed about the trip was looking at the countryside, especially in the Flint Hills. The fields, hills, cattle and farm buildings were all fascinating, seemingly strewn about for my viewing enjoyment.

          I thought the trip would never end, but when we drove into to Strong City, I knew we were on the last leg to Emporia. We joked that the city was named after the odor of the feedlot on the west side of town. Dad would talk about how he worked odd-jobs in the summer during college, and when he helped re-roof the courthouse in Cottonwood Falls.

          Once past Strong City, my anticipation heightened for the trip to end. In my mind, I would check off the familiar roadside elements: Saffordville grain elevator, the sign to Kahola Lake, then past the egg-man’s farm where we would usually go after we arrived in Emporia so my grandmother would have fresh eggs to scramble for our Sunday breakfast. When we passed the sign to Americus, Kansas (where my dad was born) I knew we were on the outskirts of Emporia, and my grandparent’s driveway would quickly appear on Garfield Street.

          Now the only time I’m on U.S. 50 or K-177 is when I want to pay homage to those days that seem from another time. It’s usually on a sunny day when I have time to visit the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve or if I just want to get out of the “fast lane.”

          I also look for things of interest that would make a good watercolor composition, such as the grain elevator in Saffordville along the Santa Fe tracks and U.S. Highway 50 on the east side of Chase County. The structure has always intrigued me. It looks aged, abandoned and alone. Recently I pulled off the highway and drove onto the railway property, hoping to get a close look at the building that won’t be around much longer if the forces of nature and man continue their assault on it. Once out of the car, I walked to the south side and looked up. That’s got character, I thought. Out came the cellphone and I took a few photos, thinking of some watercolor possibilities.

          I continued to walk where the rail spur once was. The ground was full of tractor tire ruts, and weeds had grown up in the undisturbed spaces around the building. I wondered what had transpired on this spot over decades of farming, ranching and railway activity. What type of grain was stored here? What did all the old trucks and the farmers and ranchers look like? When was the last time the place was in business?

          Once home, I began the painting. As the building took shape, the watercolor began to consume my time and thoughts.

          If only the building could speak and tell its stories. That’s the intriguing part.

Saffordville Relic
2022 watercolor by Gregory E. Larson



2 comments:

  1. Greg, once again Thank You for the wonderful trip down memory lane. It is amazing to me the shared experiences (not necessarily together) of roads we have traveled and the landmarks that have remained in our memories.
    I have always loved the two lane roads, the small towns and quaint countryside of that part of Kansas. I often felt my eyes drawn to the limestone buildings dotted along the highways of that region and I am sure I have a printed picture of the Fox Creek school packed away in a dusty box of 1960-1970's memorabilia.
    It would be difficult to find that picture today but with your help I could retrieve it immediately (emotions included) from my somewhat feeble mind. I think I can even recall the feed lot smell!
    Thanks for the trip!
    Val

    ReplyDelete