![]() |
| Jim Hamil (1937-2022) |
The year is barely half complete, and Kansas City has lost several well-known artists. I wished I could have spent time with all of them, but I consider myself lucky for getting to know Jim Hamil in the latter years of his life.
Many
thanks to Alex Hamil for helping me with some facts for this memoir, and
thanks to Melanie Werner for helping set up the meetings with Jim as I got to
know him through our visits.
A memoir of my
time spent with Jim Hamil
by Gregory E. Larson
It’s always sad to lose
someone who’s had an impact on your life. Jim Hamil was one of those people. Before
I knew him as a friend, I would find time on a cold, rainy Kansas City night to
slowly turn the pages of his “Return to
Kansas” book that he and his wife,
Sharon, published. It is full of paintings from all around the state in which
I’ve lived my entire life. His watercolors were complex and I spent long hours
thinking how he constructed them with color washes and details.
![]() |
| Print of watercolor of "Plaza Carriages" |
We first met in 2013. I bought a print of one of his famous Country Club Plaza
scenes – one with the horse-drawn carriages in the nighttime snow – and had him
sign it for me. When Jim discovered that I had worked at Hallmark as an
architect, he briefly shared the story that in 1961 he gave Dwight
Eisenhower a watercolor lesson in the private penthouse apartment in the main
Hallmark Headquarters building, while overlooking the downtown skyline.
When
I discovered that the event had never been documented, I was determined to
write a magazine article and get it published. He agreed to have me come to his
house and interview him about the Eisenhower experience.
Being
a process-driven person, I developed a long list of questions, thinking that I
would get all of the pertinent information in one meeting. I was so wrong. He
took me on an adventure. We spent several sessions at his house, and I realized
I was a better person for listening to Jim’s stories and advice. With each
question on my list, Jim would backtrack and tell me several anecdotes that would
eventually lead to the answer.
The
best part of the time spent with him was walking around his house, which was
overloaded with paintings on the walls and stacked against the walls and
furniture. He had a story about every painting, especially the ones he painted
plein-air style, or outdoors on-site. I was amazed at how he was able to capture
farm scenes with animals and the always changing weather. Some of his best
paintings have the Kansas storm clouds reflecting the sunlight while the
thunderheads are billowing upwards.
In
2017, I started doing watercolors – something I hadn’t done in 40 years. I
took some Kansas City Art Institute classes. Some of the paintings looked pretty
good, so I decided to show them to Jim. His one sentence response was classic
mentoring. He cut right to the issue, without “beating around the bush.”
He
said, “Greg, I really like your compositions and style, but all you need to do
is put more pigment on the brush.” His comment was worth all the classes I had
taken. I rushed home and went right to work on the watercolors. From that point
on, the paintings took a significant leap forward in quality.
Upon
hearing that Jim had passed away, on January 14, 2022, I stopped to reflect on
our friendship. With tears in my eyes, I thought back to those visits when Jim
was full of tales. I dug through my stacks of art and found an art print he had
given me and remembered the story behind it.
On
one visit, Jim seemed to have more energy and wanted to take me to the lower
level of his house. He said there was much to see downstairs. I feared that he
might trip and fall as we worked our way down the steps, but he did fine,
conversing all along the way.
He
found a stack of prints, pulled one out and said, “Here, take this. I want you
to have a print of this painting I did while on a sailboat in the Caribbean
(St. Maartens, 1983). It’s titled Under
the Jib." He talked about artists
always wishing they could improve their paintings. In the artist’s mind, there is always something in each painting that isn’t quite perfect. He told me he was given the opportunity to sail on a wealthy Kansas Citian’s
boat and decided to do a plein-air painting while on the deck. As he talked, his eyes began to twinkle and I
could feel his energy.
![]() |
| "Under the Jib" 1983 watercolor painting by J.R. Hamil |
“This
is one painting where everything seemed effortless. The selection of color, the
brush strokes – it all went down as I wanted it. Since the boat was moving
through the water, I had to visualize how the white water was to look in the
painting.”
I
couldn’t imagine how one could effortlessly paint on-site in a moving boat, but
if anyone could do it, I’m sure it was Jim. He continued, “It was amazing. I
couldn’t believe that every brush stroke was exactly as I wanted. It was a rare
moment that I’ll always remember. When I thought I was finished, a splash from
one of the waves hit the watercolor paper and created a bloom spot. I decided
that made the painting even better because it came while I was on the deck of
the boat.”
To
me, his comment about the “perfect painting” is part of the essence of a life
well-lived. There are moments in many professions, from scientists to athletes,
and from artists to attorneys. It is a “sweet spot,” sometimes at the apex of a
career, when experience, talent, and opportunity create a moment in time when
the professional becomes one with his/her profession. It all comes together so
well that it seems effortless. A perfect painting . . . a perfect race lap . .
. a perfect closing argument in a trial.
Jim
had a storied career as a professional artist, and he accomplished so much. I
am glad he shared the story of the “perfect painting.” It was created on a day
when he was outside, at peace with his task. He made me feel like I was right
on the deck of the boat with him, sensing his joy of that moment.
The
hours would melt away as Jim shared his life stories with me, and I will have
great memories of the time spent with him.



Greg- this post is a lovely remembrance and reminded me of the day you shared watercolor tips with me. We browsed through Jim’s book and I felt the admiration and kinship you felt with this fabulous artist. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful tribute to an amazing artist…thank you for bringing this story to life and Dad’s longevity.
ReplyDeleteJim was my husband’s fraternity brother at KU. Sharon, his wife , and I taught school together. They were lovely people. I remember when she was writing the content for the book of his Kansas paintings. That must have been back in 1978 or 79.
ReplyDelete