| The bike is only a memory |
Gregory E. Larson
“The bike is not there,”
I said as we walked out of the Brick Café at 1727 McGee St. last Saturday
morning in the crossroads district of Kansas City.
“What?” cried my cycling friends. “You’re kidding.”
“No,” I replied, “It’s
not there. It’s gone,” I knew immediately that it had been stolen. Everyone
else’s bike was still locked to the fence at the parking lot or to a bike rack.
Mine was the only one that was gone. To a cyclist, losing a bike is very personal.
It is like losing a body part.
“I’ve got other bikes,
but that was my best. It was my 'Porsche',” I shared with the others.
“What are you going to
do? How are you going to get home?”
“I’ll call an Uber. I’ll
probably have to file a police report, as if that will solve anything.”
All of the bikes had been
locked to the fence or racks. Someone had cut the small wire cable on my combination
lock. They probably hoisted it into a pick-up and drove into the alley, out of
sight.
The other cyclists were
so kind to wait until the Uber car arrived. I was in a daze, and got into the
car, with a feeling of profound loss. I always knew the wire cable was only a
deterrent to someone that just wanted to grab a loose bike. If any thief wanted
it, they would have to be intent on cutting the cable. I took that chance for fifteen
years, and the odds finally caught up with me. Hundreds of times I’ve left it
outside coffee shops, restaurants, and art galleries. I always locked it if it
wasn’t visible from inside.
I purchased the Trek
carbon-fiber Madone model in 2009. It was the lightest weight production bike in
the world when it was introduced. When I rode on mine, it fit like a glove. It
was so light that most hills were just a mere nuisance. There were so many
memories on that bike, good ones and bad ones. The good memories - countless
rides to coffee and breakfast, and to brew-pubs for a beer and some lunch – far
outweigh the bad memories. Our group, the Riff-Raff, are a close-knit bunch of
riders that are safety conscious and caring. The discussions at our stops span
the spectrum from educational to raucous banter.
I have only two really
bad memories on that bike. Around 2010, I shredded a rear tire when I put on
the brakes to prevent hitting an oncoming car that turned left in front of me.
Last year, I accidentally thought a curb was a curb-cut (ramp). The bike and
the curb faired much better than me, but I was back in the saddle soon after
the accident.
In our lives, sometimes a
door closes on us and another door opens. That’s how it feels to me as I look
for a new bike. What I lost was priceless. That bike kept me in good health and
made me feel a part of the backstreets across the metro. The sunshine, fresh
air, sounds of the city, and the comraderies all keep us coming back to bicycle
a new adventure each day.
To the thief or thieves,
their gain will ultimately become a greater loss through poor choices as they
go through life.
For me, I choose freedom
of mind, body and soul. Pedaling is a major contributor to that outlook.
GREG
Sorry to this. You have the correct outlook. Jim here
ReplyDeleteSorry for your loss. Hope your new adventures leads you to a new fiber carbon with a master lock and digital alarm. Best of luck.
ReplyDeleteGreg, so, so sorry to hear about your bike being stole. Good Luck on your journey to find the next Porsche😊.
ReplyDeleteKim Meyers
ReplyDeleteOh that’s such a bummer Greg! So glad you have the good memories. Looking forward to pictures of your next model!
ReplyDeleteI know this really hurts, though I can't feel it as you do.Sorry.
ReplyDeleteGreg, I’m so sorry to hear about your bike theft. I can’t imagine the feeling knowing your bike isn’t where it should be. You have a great attitude.
ReplyDeleteI too am in shock. I know how you loved that bike. I pray the thief realizes the error of their ways and returns it where they found it.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I know how I would feel if my Domaine just disappeared. I hope you find a new bike that you can bond with.
ReplyDeleteGreg, so sorry for your loss. I hope you find a good bike but even nicer to find your old bike. I remember going into a police station in Washington DC with some other naval officers we had left of TV we had rented in our car and came out from lunch and found the Window broken and the TV gone and why the cops didn’t break out laughing I’ll have no idea and of course with nobody ever found it. Have a good day. I’m contemplating buying one more picture of that cathedral with the yellow tree. If you finish it take care love her Monday night sessions every month And your blogs and your pictures
ReplyDeleteI also am so sorry to hear about your terrible loss. The feeling of invasion of your personal space can be devastating to your psyche. I've known you for a long time and know you have weathered some strong storms and still emerge with a healthy and grateful attitude.
ReplyDeleteIt was less than a month ago that you proudly showed me that bike and had me lift it with one hand and I was shocked. Thanks for the memory of that marvelous sensation.
So sorry! I think it would be like having a pet stolen. Hang in there.
ReplyDelete