 |
| The Southern Alps in New Zealand |
New
Zealand: A Best Kept Secret
travel
memoir by Gregory E. Larson
Have you ever been to a place that felt like you were
on another planet? . . . a place with exotic flowers, plants and mountains? . .
. a place with glaciers, rain forests and arid plains? Some of you may have
traveled there, to New Zealand. On my recent adventure, I learned their agriculture
economy and is gradually becoming a tourist economy. For so many decades the
destination has been a best kept secret, but that is changing.
After my arrival in Christchurch on the South Island,
I spent two days acclimating to the summer and to the time change. Having
spent more than three days travel to get there, I wandered out into the giant
botanical garden full of sunshine, huge lawns and giant trees. I dropped the
day pack onto the ground and lay down in the grass to stretch out. I thought,
“I’m out of the plane and I made it all in one piece!”
 |
| The Christchurch Botanical Garden was the best antidote after the long trip. |
 |
| Entrance Fountain at the Christchurch Botanical Garden |
Once acclimated, I began the Classic South Island Tour with Active Adventures, Inc., with fourteen people and two guides. It was a trip to places of unrivaled beauty and ruggedness. From 400 ft. waterfalls to rainforests and mountain valleys, every day was truly an adventure, including several days of rugged hikes, an additional day of biking and a day of kayaking. Complimenting the exercise were a bush-pilot flight to a remote valley, a wild and crazy jet boat ride, a gondola ride above Queenstown, and a cruise on Milford Sound.
 |
| We hiked to a 400 ft. waterfall near Arthur's Pass |
On the kayaking day, we toured Okarito Lagoon and saw two White Herons, which are extremely rare. Only 170 remain in existence.
 |
| Kayaking on a tributary to Okarito Lagoon |
Our “epic” day of the tour included a flight into a remote valley, a nine-mile hike out of the valley, and a jet boat
ride back to our resort. The bush pilot flight was the most exciting twenty
minutes I have experienced in a plane, which was a tiny Cessna 185 with balloon
tires for landing on grass in the mountain valley. I felt as though I could
reach out and touch the trees on the mountainsides, and was in awe of the
beauty of the snow-capped peaks and the glacial ponds which are only visible
from the air. Once back on the ground, we had to ford a tributary,
then hike up the valley towards a beautiful peak in the clouds. Turning back
down the valley, we hiked several miles to the Wilkin River where the jet boats
took us back to our resort.
 |
| The Cessna 185 plane that took us to a remote valley. |
 |
| Take-off was next to the Wilkin River Valley, then up into the mountains. |
 |
I felt like I could almost touch the trees on the mountainside.
|
 |
| The remote Siberian Valley in Mount Aspiring National Park |
 |
| A day of memorable hiking |
 |
| A wild and crazy boat ride was the exclamation point on an epic day. |
Two days were spent in Queenstown, which was crawling with tourists. It reminded me of an oversized Estes Park in Colorado. One of the days was spent hiking up Ben Lomond Peak. It began by taking a 1500 ft., mostly vertical gondola to a point above Queenstown, then a strenuous hike at twenty percent grade for three miles. I barely made it two miles, and then turned around to save my legs for the remainder of the week.
 |
| Overlooking Queenstown at the top of the gondola station. |
 |
| View of Ben Lomond Peak from the twenty-percent grade on the trail. |
The last day of the tour began in the early morning
darkness, with our guides brewing French-press coffee. We piled into the bus
and drove to one of the top tourist destinations: Milford Sound in the
Fiordland National Park.
 |
| Milford Sound - unrivaled beauty |
About every twenty minutes a huge cruise boat (with
150-200 people on board) departed for the two-hour cruise out to the Tasman Sea
and back. During the cruise, the tour boat ahead of ours had stopped and turned
at a waterfall. The photo had a good composition for a watercolor: reflections
in the water, the boat and waterfall as the focus, with numerous textures and
colors on the cliffs and mountain. Back home in the studio, it was a joy to paint, although it is one of
the most difficult scenes I’ve painted, due to all of the detail.
 |
Stirling Falls - Milford Sound, New Zealand 2025 watercolor by Gregory E. Larson |
Our last hike was one for the memories. We hiked two
miles up through the forest to a summit pass. The beginning was in the mossy
woods with ferns and trees surrounding the trail. As we ascended through the
forest, we began to have glimpses of the granite peaks through the 800-year-old
trees. Once at the pass, the vistas were in all directions. Our guide passed
out boxes of pasta salad for our lunch, and we sat on benches that viewed the
snow-capped peaks. It was one of those places that was hard for me to leave.
When we began the trek down the mountain trail and back into the forest, I knew
that I had fallen in love with New Zealand.
 |
Glimpses of the granite peaks through the ancient forests.
|
 |
| A view at the mountain pass on the last hike - one to remember. |
THE END
What an amazing adventure! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWonderful trip. Glad you got to Stirling Falls "wink wink". We spent time in New Zealand but not at your capacity. Thank you for sharing your experience.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your beautiful photos, watercolor painting and adventures from New Zealand!
ReplyDelete